Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Going to Taiwan

Jan. 15, 2008 - Going to Taiwan
I'm going to skip ahead a bit on my blog to mention that I'm leaving Surat tomorrow night. I tried to change my flights to travel at the same time as Michael, but it will cost an additional $1200 (on top of the $2600) for me to move my flight from the 17th to the 21st. It's because any flight after the 20th falls in the time frame of chinese new years and all the Cathay flights have jumped in price. We found this out after dinner last night and have been making last minute arrangements to get me to Mumbai. Michael is pretty anxious about me going without him. I am nervous but for different reasons. I'm nervous about going to Taiwan to meet my grandparent- in laws for the first time withouth Michael!! I'll be there for 5 days staying at his family's house! Eeek! Michael will come on the 21st and I'm returning home on the 23rd. I might take the flight home solo as well because Michaels' family want him to stay in Taiwan for more than just one day. We'll see.
So what's funny about this trip tomorrow is that I feel like a VIP or a celebrity or something. Biosync arranged my driver to take me at 8 pm. They are also sending another employee to escort me. He has to call the secretary every hour to update them and then take me into the airport. I feel soooo bad for the poor soul who has to travel with me because it's a 10 hour round trip overnight! They won't have it any other way though because night time travel is pretty risky. I have to go at night because my flight is a 5 am flight. Origionally, we were supposed to stay at the Hyatt (oh the beautiful hyatt!! lol) but there's no way I'm paying $325 out of my own pocket to hang out there for a couple of hours before the flight. Anyhow, that is the going rate of the 5 star hotels in the area. Mumbai can be pretty pricey I think.
I'm also hoping that I don't smell too strongly (if you know what I mean). I'm going to meet my in laws smelling very much of my recent travels! lol
When I get to Taiwan I'll try to blog about the kite festival. It was just the most amazing experience. We also got to try playing cricket. lol. More about that later!

2 comments:

kkyee said...

wow - meeting the grandparents-inlaws on your own eh?! That's adventurous. I hope those mandarin classes will pay off!

Unknown said...

You'll probably be speaking to Mike in mandarin when he comes to taiwan to meet up!