Jan 8 – “Do you speak English?”
So I was good for one whole day. I stayed in the hotel and read and watched TV. It was quite sad. I was watching Indian soap operas in Hindi. They are sooo cheesy that I was actually watching to see what would happen next! I’m getting used to the sounds of the words and can sort of guess what’s going on. I couldn’t take it anymore and my curiosity took over. I went to the travel agent, bought a map and got him to circle places that I should go. Unfortunately there is no where interesting to go to. I went to Iscon Mall. It’s a very high end mall that I think only tourists go to. I had to go thru a metal detector to get inside. Every store had a security guard. I was about the size of a standard mall in Canada. I’m getting really annoyed with the fact that I am NEVER alone anywhere I go in India. There is ALWAYS a person one step away from me to “help” me with whatever I might need (even in the gym, the trainer will just work out beside me in each room in case I need something). I know that it’s a part of their culture to have “servants” but hate having a shadow. It wouldn’t be too bad if they just stood there, but most of the time they want to “help” me by showing me items that they think I might like. I’m also a “ma’am” wherever I go which takes some adjusting to. “Yes ma’am, no ma’am, good morning ma’am…”
The most interesting thing there was eating at the food court. You have to purchase a preloaded debit card and then purchase your food with that. I had a sandwich for Rs..35 (less than $1) whereas in the hotel they charge Rs. 350 ($10). What a huge price difference! The funniest thing that happened was when I was waiting around to get my money back from the debit card, an Indian woman (tourist) was trying to figure out how to buy food in the food court and she looks at me and says “do you speak English?” Hah-hah! I think she felt kinda silly when I responded to her.
The last thing I did worth mentioning was I went to the hotel spa to try out “threading”. I’ve heard all about it and thought I’d try it from the experts. I look pretty goofy in the pics – almost happy to be tortured…. Lets just say that it hurt more than it was worth. I’m sticking with waxing and plucking! It only cost Rs. 85 ($2) though.
So I was good for one whole day. I stayed in the hotel and read and watched TV. It was quite sad. I was watching Indian soap operas in Hindi. They are sooo cheesy that I was actually watching to see what would happen next! I’m getting used to the sounds of the words and can sort of guess what’s going on. I couldn’t take it anymore and my curiosity took over. I went to the travel agent, bought a map and got him to circle places that I should go. Unfortunately there is no where interesting to go to. I went to Iscon Mall. It’s a very high end mall that I think only tourists go to. I had to go thru a metal detector to get inside. Every store had a security guard. I was about the size of a standard mall in Canada. I’m getting really annoyed with the fact that I am NEVER alone anywhere I go in India. There is ALWAYS a person one step away from me to “help” me with whatever I might need (even in the gym, the trainer will just work out beside me in each room in case I need something). I know that it’s a part of their culture to have “servants” but hate having a shadow. It wouldn’t be too bad if they just stood there, but most of the time they want to “help” me by showing me items that they think I might like. I’m also a “ma’am” wherever I go which takes some adjusting to. “Yes ma’am, no ma’am, good morning ma’am…”
The most interesting thing there was eating at the food court. You have to purchase a preloaded debit card and then purchase your food with that. I had a sandwich for Rs..35 (less than $1) whereas in the hotel they charge Rs. 350 ($10). What a huge price difference! The funniest thing that happened was when I was waiting around to get my money back from the debit card, an Indian woman (tourist) was trying to figure out how to buy food in the food court and she looks at me and says “do you speak English?” Hah-hah! I think she felt kinda silly when I responded to her.
The last thing I did worth mentioning was I went to the hotel spa to try out “threading”. I’ve heard all about it and thought I’d try it from the experts. I look pretty goofy in the pics – almost happy to be tortured…. Lets just say that it hurt more than it was worth. I’m sticking with waxing and plucking! It only cost Rs. 85 ($2) though.

No comments:
Post a Comment